Apr 2, 2012

Living life two weeks @ a time

16th cycle charting
9th monitored cycle
5th medicated cycle
2nd IUI cycle
22nd cycle since my ectopic pregnancy

HSG done on CD8. The results were the same as the last one two years back but this doctor did it very well. The pain and discomfort was way lesser than last time. After he completed the procedure, he explained the images to me which the other doctor never did. The image showed good spillage on the right and nothing on the left. It was as if there was no tube on the left, the dye never left the uterus on the left side. After I dressed up, the nurse gave me a CD that had my images! I really like that. I could show the images to my hubby :)

As per plan I had my follicle ultrasound on CD12 and to my BIG BIG surprise I had a good follicle on the right measuring 19mm. Thank God! There were no big ones on the left, the maximum was 11mm which does not qualify. They gave me the HCG shot at 8.45 am on CD12. The plan was to have two IUIs done this cycle. We drove in early on CD13 and had the first IUI. I felt O pains around 8 pm on that day and I think I ovulated because there was a slight increase in temp the next day (0.2 deg). We did the second IUI the next day, CD 14. The doctor mentioned that my hubby's samples looked pretty good and he did not see any issues. The three days were very tiresome for us. The two hour back and forth drive from the clinic against NY traffic and the 3 hour wait at the clinic and then getting back to work with the sponge stuck inside me! It was all totally worth it!

Like he said on my last appointment, if it doesnt happen this cycle, then my right tube is something we can't take for granted. He said there could be issues in the tube at the microscopic level and might not help in the smooth transport of the egg. A similar situation could have happened two years back that caused ectopic pregnancy in my left tube. According to him, HSGs do not reveal microscopic defects of the tube and it just shows that the tube is open and we never know if the tube is actually functional...and I do agree to what he says because sadly I see no reason why it can't be true.

Today I am on 6 DPO and I have my progesterone blood work scheduled for tomorrow. For some reason, my temperatures are not that high this cycle and I am quite disappointed. It could be because I just had one egg that popped this cycle and the last few cycles I had 2 eggs....well we will find out tomorrow after the blood work.

I am kind of lost as to what will happen if this cycle does not work. I mean we have done all that we could this cycle to get a BFP. We did HSG (which I believe increases fertility), right tube was open, we got a right side egg, we did two IUIs...not sure what more is needed! The unknown fear is what happens next if this cycle does not work. My RE is leaning towards IVF as he says we should discuss that next cycle. I am not quite sure...we did only 2 IUI cycles so far (3 if we count this cycle as 2 IUIs) ..is that enough to determine that IVF is our only choice? or should we try more IUI cycles? I have been reading on acupuncture and I am thinking of doing at least 1 IUI+acupuncture cycle and 1 IUI+injectables cycle before we head to IVF. And we need 2-3 months break to save a little bit for IVF (based on our coverage we will end up spending a lot out of pocket).

Fingers crossed!!

4 comments:

  1. So, I don't have as much knowledge about the various procedures because I haven't yet reached the point where I've even had one IUI cycle, but if there is a tubal issue, then I think it makes sense that your doc is recommending IVF to bypass that step of the natural process. You could probably do another IUI cycle, but if there's a tubal issue, then your chances probably won't be very good. I hope that this cycle brings your take home baby and you don't even need to look to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would maybe go for an injectable+acupuncture+IUI cycle. I would only do 1 at the most and if it doesn't work with a good response then go for the IVF. We would have done IVF years ago if we had the coverage for it, but we don't so we can really only do what we can afford. With 1 working tube IVF is generally more successful. So while it's more money and more in depth, I'm sure you'll come out of it with a baby or two! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine's first IUI failed, then the second one worked like a charm. My first IUI worked but we lost it. We are headed down IUI #2 road after 5 months of waiting.... but I think you have a good chance. My RE told me that usually if the 4th IUI doesn't work, it wont at all and that the next step is IVF. It's all worth it in the end! Good luck to you! I'll be keeping up with your story. Stay strong... you should be at least 13dpo by now. Any news???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the support!! It really means a lot to me...Things are not looking rosy at this time. I got a BFN yesterday :( AF should be arriving any time now. Just trying to regroup myself and look at what my best options are. We might take 2-3 months break and move on to IVF or we might do 1-2 injectable+IUI cycles.

      Delete