Me and my husband began seeing this super doctor…our RE (I call him Dr. Wizard) from last June and he has been trying to help us conceive soon. My two big problems are history of ectopic pregnancy and high androgens. This super doc with the help of another super doc figured out the reason for my high androgens.
A mild 21-hydroxylase deficiency which inhibits my adrenal gland from functioning normally
A normal adrenal gland would receive messages from pituitary to produce Cortisol. The production of Cortisol is a three step process in the adrenal gland and a lot enzymes help in the conversion. One such enzyme is the 21-hydroxylase enzyme which helps conversion in the third stage.
I have a mild case of Non-Classical Adrenal Hyperplasia which means, the 21-hydroxylase enzyme is a little deficient in my body. Hence the adrenal gland is not able to perform its conversion effectively. Due to this mild enzyme deficiency, my adrenal gland ends up producing high amounts of by-products which is DHEA.
DHEAS is good for our body but only if it is within the normal range.
For a women of my age the DHEAS levels should 65 - 380 µg/dL but my DHEAS level is 574 µg/dL. High levels of DHEAS could disrupt ovulation and cause miscarriages as well. So the wizards of Oz decided to put me on a low dose of steriod called dexamethasone which reduces the ACTH output of pituitary gland hence the adrenal receives less ACTH and produces less cortisol and lesser by products which is DHEAS.
After I was put on dexamethasone my DHEAS levels came down to 96 µg/dL. I was elated!!
Now my super doc Dr.Wizard is not sure as to whether he should let my body ovulate by itself this cycle or give me clomid (a magic pill that helps in inducing ovulation). He has asked me to come in for the routine tests tomorrow to help him decide that. Tomorrow will be our 9th appointment with the doctor. We are tired. Many baby making couples would think that this is nothing but personally everyone's case is unique and you do feel the pain anywhere in the process.
My strength is my wonderful husband and my family. It keeps me going and getting through the day. When I told my husband this morning about our appointment tomorrow, he just said we will go if the doctor wants to see us. That gave me immense strength today! His words does magic to me! and keeps me going for days.
My husband and our parents don’t deserve this pains tricking journey and all I wish for is lot of happiness for them. I really hope God listens.....
No comments:
Post a Comment