We had our NT scan last week and the results are within the normal range. It took almost an hour to get the measurements as she/he was having hiccups for some time and then started stretching. We could see legs and arms and a big belly :)
Right after the NT scan we spoke to a genetic counselor which was part of the process. She went over our family history and any genetic conditions that are likely to affect the baby. One thing that was brought into attention was my 'high DHEAS' problem. During my infertility treatment I went to a medical endocrinologist to find the cause for high androgens (high DHEAS). To keep it short this was our finding - after several blood tests we found that my adrenal gland does not function normally. Genetically I am missing a certain enzyme that would regulate our Cortisol and DHEAS levels. Due to the missing enzyme my DHEAS levels are high which causes hyperandrogenism which is also regarded as PCOS.
I was put on Dexamethasone which regulates androgens externally. I was asked to stop taking it from 12 weeks as it would affect/suppress adrenal gland of the baby. This is a genetic disorder and there are good chances of passing it to my children. So coming back to our conversation with the genetic counselor, she offered us genetic testing for this disorder. It doesn't really matter if I am having a boy since this disorder does not affect males (they are designed to have high androgens). But if I am having a girl we need to be cautious. We are not sure if there are any medical interventions during pregnancy to reverse it. Our plan is to have this reviewed with our medical endocrinologist in two weeks. I really hope I don't pass on this disorder to my baby....
My first trimester symptoms have all faded now. I no longer have any aversions to food or nausea. I have already gained 7 pounds and I am not on Metformin so my diet has to be devoid of refined grains. Two days back, we went shopping after work and when I got home I noticed that my feet and ankles were swollen. That really scared the hell out of me. I called up my doctor. She says it could be edema and happens if we are on our feet all day and if the weather is too hot. She asked me to double my water intake and put my legs up whenever possible. The swelling has reduced now but I still have a swollen ankle. Did anyone experience this so early in pregnancy? I hope it’s just edema and not something related to preeclampsia.
They should take your BP at every appointment, so hopefully it's not preeclampsia, but just a bad side effect from the super hot weather.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your testing and the subsequent conversations with the endocrinologist!
Thanks Sass! I doubled my water intake and did some pilates and yoga..which really helped. The weather is getting better these days..so its nicer to take walks.
DeleteGlad your symptoms have subsided, I am still having food aversions. Hopefully the feet swelling is just due to the hot weather nothing more serious.
ReplyDeleteExactly..now that weather is better and my water intake increased..I am feeling much better now. thanks!
DeleteThe edema is normal, honestly. Hot weather + being on your feet a lot can easily cause that. Not only do they take your BP at your appointments to check for that, but you should also be peeing in a cup at every appointment. They use that to check if there is protein in your urine, which is an indicator of preeclampsia as well. I wouldn't worry about it because they'd definitely say something to you!
ReplyDeleteIt was definitely edema due to hot weather and fluid retention. Thanks for sending these thoughts. I am much better now with some exercise and more water. How have you been? How did your exam go?
DeleteCongratulations on the second trimester! I'm sorry I didn't respond to your comment on my blog for so long--I've been in sort of an end-of-pregnancy daze and not checking email and comments very often. But to answer your question, because I was ultimately diagnosed as NOT having NCAH, I didn't have my hormone levels tested during pregnancy, nor did I take dex or any other similar treatments. When we did think I had NCAH, though, both my husband and I had genetic testing to see if he was also a carrier--had we both been carriers, then we would most likely have done some kind of medical intervention if I'd been pregnant with a girl--also, I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right, but I believe that even if your child doesn't inherit the condition, your own hormonal soup can result in masculinization of a girl baby's sex organs, and there is some kind of treatment for that.
ReplyDeleteHope that helps--good luck!